The southern part of the Rabi’a al-‘Adawiyya street leads to the Salman al-Farisi Mausoleum (maqam)and Mosque, located in the eastern part of the cemetery of al-Tur village, close to the Russian Ascension Church tower. To arrive at the monument, one must cross the Rabi’a al-‘Adawiyya street passing through al-Tur and al-Maqased Hospital crossing, turning left (east).
Companion Salman al-Farisi
Salman al-Farisi is an honorable Companion of Prophet Mohammad and the Companion who advised the prophet to dig a ditch during the siege around the Madina by Muhammad enemies, later the seige known as the ditch battle.. A number of historians, travelers and documents confirmed the historical importance of this site, including Nasir al-Din Muhammad ibn Khader al-Rumi, who prepared a guide for the most important Islamic sites to visit in Jerusalem in the 16th century. Some historians and travelers referred to this site as the Carob Tree Mausoleum. Although there is no proof that Salman al-Farisi entered Jerusalem after converting to Islam, there are indications that he did so before converting, with four sites being related to him in Palestine, in Ashdod, the village of Burene, the village of ‘Urief, and the city of al-Ramleh, in addition to this site.
The site was originally an underground cave, and the present site was built in 1910. In 1926, Mohammad ‘Issa Abu al- Hawa built a mosque and a minaret, and the mosque was expanded in 1991. Al-Arba’in (40) dome is located inside al-Tur village cemetery, in close proximity to Salman al-Farisi’s mausoleum. It is interesting that this dome is one of 44 mausoleums carrying this number (40), which seems to have been popular among various religions. Some people referred to it as the ‘Carob of ‘Ashrah,’ and it most probably contained the tomb of Zahra, the Ottoman Amir Tughan’s wife.